If you live in Santa Clarita, CA and are missing one, several or even all teeth, you may want to consider having dental implants installed. They are prosthetic teeth that are used to replace actual teeth. They are titanium dental roots that are inserted into the jaw. These integrate with the rest of the natural jaw. Once the implanted roots set the dentist then mounts artificial teeth on them. Anyone who has missing teeth can have dental implants and they are worn by millions of people across the world. That said, there are some medical conditions that may limit how successful dental implants are – if you suffer from osteoporosis or diabetes you should let your dentist know because these diseases can make it hard for implants to take.
Benefits of dental implants
There are many benefits of having your Santa Clarita, CA dentist fit you with dental implants:
- They are natural looking so your smile will be restored to normal. In fact, people will not be able to tell the difference.
- Dental implants prevent the face from caving in. When you lose teeth and you have them replaced your face collapses inwards as a result of bone re-absorption – you may have seen it in people who have lost all their teeth and failed to replace them. Dental implants are a good solution for this.
- Dental implants last a long time, in many cases a lifetime. This is unlike many other teeth replacement procedures that need to be redone every few years.
- Dental implants allow you to eat, smile and do other daily activities with ease and with confidence.
- Unlike dentures which move when you chew, talk, laugh and even sneeze, dental implants stay in place throughout.
- Dental implants do not require you to clean them every night as you have to do with dentures.
- Dental implants do not decay unlike natural teeth. That said, you have to clean them three times a day just as you would your teeth.
- Dental implants will not affect your remaining teeth.
What is the procedure for installing dental implants?
You Santa Clarita, CA dentist will schedule you on four visits to install your dental implants.
First appointment – During this consultation our doctors looks at your teeth, takes photos and also takes x-rays to determine how strong your bones are. They will also make moulds to ensure that they get the prosthetic teeth that they will install just right. In addition to looking at your teeth your dentist will explain to you what the procedure entails and how you should prepare for your appointments.
Second appointment – on your second visit your dentist will perform surgery. He will inject you with a local anesthetic after which he will cut your jaw and place the cover screw. He will then stitch the jaw closed and allow you 3 months to heal. During this time the implant integrates into the jaw.
Third appointment – The dentist takes a set of impressions in order to be able to mould your crown or your new teeth and align it with the already inserted cover screw.
Fourth appointment – You will have your new teeth or crown installed and you are good to go.
How do I care for dental implants?
As we already mentioned, you need to care for your implants the same way that you take care of normal teeth. Immediately after they are placed your dentist will give you regular appointments so that he can oversee your healing process. Once you are healed you should visit your dentist once or twice a year to ensure that you have good oral health. Also, if there is a problem with the implants it can be corrected before there is too much damage.
How much will it cost?
It is important that you know the costs of dental implants before going in because they are not cheap. One tooth can cost up to $4,000. There are some newer generic models that are cheap so if you cannot afford the expensive type you should ask your dentist about them. That said, there are many dentists in Santa Clarita, CA who understand that many of their patients who need implants cannot afford to pay for them all at once. They offer financing where patients can pay a part of their bill every month for one or two years. There are also discount plans available that charge very reasonable annual fees. There is one option that many people don’t consider – they can go to a dental school where they will have their implants done by students under the supervision of their teachers.
Lastly, it is very important that you do your homework when it comes to choosing the Santa Clarita, CA dentist who will do your dental implants. It is an invasive procedure that requires an experienced dentist who has the right equipment. They should maintain a hygienic practice (it is easy to get infections at the dentists). They should be able to communicate to you all that will happen during your procedure and also answer any questions that you may have.